Wednesday, June 1, 2011
Information on Reiki
---------ORIGINAL PRINCIPLES & REIKI RYOHO ---------
The Original Principles Formulated by Usui Sensei:
Dr. Mikao Usui the founder of Reiki Ryoho, adopted five admonitions to live by from the Meiji Emperor, that if applied with Reiki, would heal the body, bring peace of mind, and happiness in life. Following are those admonitions, taught as the Reiki Principles, Precepts or Ideals. It is interesting to see the variations from the various Reiki Organizations, even in the translated version.
From Usui Sensei's memorial: ...when it comes to teaching, first let the student understand well the Meiji Emperor's admonitory, then in the morning and in the evening let them chant and have in mind the five admonitions which are:
• Don't get angry today.
• Don't be grievous.
• Express your thanks.
• Be diligent in your business.
• Be kind to others.
—from the original document in Usui Sensei's handwriting.
• Just for today, thou shall not anger.
• Just for today, thou shall not worry.
• Thou shall be grateful for the many blessings.
• Earn thy livelihood with honest labor.
• Be kind to thy neighbors.
—as taught by Mrs. Takata.
• Just for today, I will not worry.
• Just for today, I will not be angry.
• Just for today, I will give thanks for my many blessings.
• Just for today, I will do my work honestly.
• Just for today, I will be kind to every living thing.
—as taught by Reiki Alliance Masters.
• Just for today, I will let go of anger.
• Just for today, I will let go of worry.
• Today, I will count my many blessings.
• Today, I will do my work honestly.
• Today, I will be kind to every living creature.
—as taught by The Radiance Technique.
Reiki Principles or Precepts
• Just for today, do not worry.
• Just for today, do not anger.
• Honor your parents, teachers and elders.
• Earn your living honestly.
• Show gratitude to every living thing.
—as taught by some Independent Reiki Masters.
Other Translations of Reiki Ryoho Principles
• The secret art of inviting happiness
• The miraculous medicine of all diseases
• Just for today, do not anger
• Do not worry and be filled with gratitude
• Devote yourself to your work
• Be kind to people
• Every morning and evening, join your hands in prayer
• Pray these words to your heart and chant these words with your mouth
• Usui Reiki Treatment for the improvement of body and mind
—version of translation from The Center for Reiki Training.
• The Secret Method of Inviting Blessings
• The Spiritual Medicine of Many Illnesses
• For today only, do not anger, do not worry.
• Do your work with appreciation.
• Be kind to all people.
• In the morning and at night hold your hands in prayer, meditate on and chant these words.
• The Usui Reiki method to change your mind and body for the better.
—version of translation from Traditional Japanese Reiki School TJR.
Reiki Principles from a Satya Reiki Poem, 'Clarifying The Wind':
Don't get angry today
Don't mind or worry today
Don't be afraid
Thanks to the world and every being
Work hard Be kind to every being
Make morning and evening Namaste and say thanks to all beings
Thanks to God and existence
—version of a Japanese lineage through Eguchi
The kanji characters Rei and Ki both have an old and a modern form. The old form kanji (written by Usui and Takata Sensei's) best describes Reiho, was rediscovered by Usui Sensei. The word Reiki with a capital "R" is the word, which describes the energy of this system. The old style kanji is the form that is currently used by the Radiance Technique and some independent Reiki Teachers.
The old form kanji as written on the precepts by Usui Sensei, best describes the system known as Reiho. It is easily explainable as follows:
Rei—Strokes, 24. Consists of three parts. The topmost denotes 'rain', the middle stands for 'objects' and the bottom stands for 'shaman'. Rei means 'spirit or spiritual'.
The Japanese dictionary defines Rei as:
1. Spirit; the spiritual aspect of the human being as contrasted to the physical.
2. Divine, luminous, charismatic, supernatural, mysterious.
3. The luminosity of the spirit; the luminosity of a God or Sage.
4. Inconceivable spiritual ability; charismatic power; charisma; wonderful; a wonder.
5. A rainmaker, a diviner; a person or being with spiritual or supernatural powers.
6. A shaman.
7. Goodness; good, excellent, efficacious.
8. Clever, nimble, sharp.
10. A living being; a human being.
11. A supernatural (mythical) beast or being; a fairy, an elf.
12. Pure, undefined, unpolluted.
13. Bright, clear.
Ki—Strokes, 10. Consists of 'breath with rice' (rice in Japan is sometimes used as a synonym for people). Ki means 'energy'.
The Japanese dictionary defines Ki as:
1. Vital energy connected with the breath. Invisible life force, somewhat equivalent to the Indian prana.
2. In the view of Zhuxi and other Neo-Confucians, the material force of the Universe. The generative forces of heaven and earth, by means of which all things are constantly reproduced.
4. Breath, steam.
Description of the Old Form Reiki kanji:
On the earth stands a shaman with his arms raised against the sky. From the heaven the rain comes down with lifesaving energy consisting of three parts: Light, Love and Wisdom. The shaman acts as a channel (channeling this energy down to all the people of the Earth). The Reiki teacher is the channel when s/he initiates students and the practitioner is the shaman, when s/he channels this spiritual energy to the people treated.
Description of the New Form Reiki kanji:
The meaning of the new form kanji from a Japanese dictionary is, 'aura'. The new form kanji does not give an accurate description of Usui Sensei's Reiki Ryoho.
Rei—Strokes, 15; (1) soul; spirit; departed soul; ghost.
Ki—Strokes, 6; (1) spirit, mind.
Katakana script—according to a friend in the Gakkai, Katakana is mainly utilized for foreign names and brands like Toyota and Seiko and does not properly represent Usui Sensei's Reiki Ryoho.
Old Japanese: Drawn by Adonea Usui Reiki Ryoho Gakkai and Independents.
New Japanese: Alliance & Independents.
Old Japanese: Written by Mrs. Takata, The Radiance Technique & Independents.
Combination: Reiki Touch & Independents.
Katakana: Traditional Japanese Reiki (TJR).
What Reiki Ryoho is:
Usui Sensei said: "Reiki Ryoho is a spiritual healing technique and an energy healing technique". Spiritual healing connects one with Universal Consciousness bringing spiritual growth by healing core patterns and issues and helping one remember the fullness of 'who they are'. Energy healing brings relief from pain and symptoms in the mind, body and emotions.
Reiki Ryoho brings one to understand the 'purpose of life'; establishes the 'Self' which is aware of the 'True meaning of Life' as part of Universal Consciousness; connects one to Higher levels of consciousness. Reiki Ryoho is a spiritually-guided, individual experience and a powerful tool for personal growth and spiritual enlightenment.
Reiki Ryoho expands 'Love', helping one to understand the True meaning of 'Unconditional Love'. Reiho increases and spreads the vibration of 'Love' to all of life.
Reiki Ryoho expands 'Harmony', raises one's vibrations to be in sync (or resonance) with the Divine and in so doing brings 'Peace' and happiness on personal, family and global levels. It is for you and everyone alive who is desirous of a higher quality of life. Reiki is pure 'Divine Light'.
Reiki Ryoho restores wholeness to body, mind and spirit, increases intuition, and helps one reconnect to their 'God-given' gifts of clairvoyance, clairaudience, and clairsentience. It is a transcendental, counterclockwise spiraling energy, which works with physical, mental, emotional and spiritual levels simultaneously. It is an evolutionary process, which will increase the natural flow of events and patterns of manifestation in all life. This precise self-help technique encourages personal growth and transformation on all levels.
Reiki Ryoho is a powerful natural system that unlocks the inner flow of vital energy, restoring and balancing the energy systems in all living things. This natural healing system is complete and whole in and of itself, yet acts synergistically with all other healing methods. It is for preventing disorders, maintaining positive wellness, helping the healing process and is beneficial in emergency situations or when used with medical and other procedures.
Reiki is always available and is unlimited; once attuned to the energy, you never lose it and cannot over use it. It is safe and easy to use anytime, any place, any situation and it can never be used to manipulate or control anything.
What Reiki Ryoho is not:
Reiki Ryoho does not involve E.S.P. or unusual psychic phenomenon; is not a form of psychic healing or psychic surgery and is not a massage technique.
Reiki Ryoho is not difficult to use or limited to a select few people. It is not just for when one is ill or used simply to reduce pain and symptoms. Reiho wholes the body, bringing it into sync with the Divine rhythm of the Universe. Everyone can learn, use and benefit from daily use of Reiho.
Reiki Ryoho cannot be taught by just anyone, it is necessary to receive extensive training in order to teach the system. There are many organizations, schools, and individuals that teach Reiki but few teach Usui Reiki Ryoho.