This weekend, I constructed a basic chart for compatibilities based on astrological sun signs. This is some very simple, basic compatibility data. For best results, I'd recommend checking the natal charts of yourself and the person you're analyzing. Even so, this is a nice quick-and-dirty bit of information that may help you learn a bit about yourself and someone else. (Note: I may even make a YouTube companion video for the chart -- we shall see!) To see the chart in a larger format, just click on it below.
2. Thumbs-Up. You've got similarities and complimentary styles. These dynamics are "trine" and often quite positive for friendships, romances, and family relations. While there are enough differences in, say, execution and expression of personal style, many values will remain similar between the two of you. This is often a very respectful and close partnership where both people can feel an instant connection. Includes: Aries and Leo, Aries and Sagittarius, Taurus and Virgo, Taurus and Capricorn, Gemini and Libra, Gemini and Aquarius, Cancer and Scorpio, Cancer and Pisces, Leo and Aries, Leo and Sagittarius, Virgo and Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn, Scorpio and Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces, Sagittarius and Aries, Sagittarius and Cancer, Capricorn and Taurus, Capricorn and Virgo, Aquarius and Gemini, Aquarius and Libra, Pisces and Cancer, Pisces and Scorpio.
3. Peace Sign. Called a "sextile," these are signs which have complimentary elements that "feed" off of one another's differences. You and the other person may not be similar in a lot of ways, but you genuinely like and respect one another. This makes for a very interesting partnership and it can help you learn a lot about yourself, as well as appreciate the differences that other people have to offer. Great for collaborations, and also makes for very interesting friendships and romances. Signs which are sextile include: Aries and Gemini, Aries and Aquarius, Taurus and Cancer, Taurus and Pisces, Gemini and Aries, Gemini and Leo, Cancer and Virgo, Cancer and Taurus, Leo and Gemini, Leo and Libra, Virgo and Cancer, Virgo and Scorpio, Libra and Leo, Libra and Sagittarius, Scorpio and Virgo, Scorpio and Capricorn, Sagittarius and Libra, Sagittarius and Aquarius, Capricorn and Scorpio, Capricorn and Pisces, Aquarius and Sagittarius, Aquarius and Aries.
4. Swirly Arrow-Circle Thing. These are known as "opposition signs" because they are at a perfect 180 degrees apart in the zodiac -- and yes, opposites do attract! While there can often be an extreme and intense attraction between these two signs, it can also be a very trying dynamic. Dealing with someone who is so different than you can be wonderful and intriguing, yet also dramatic and frustrating at the same time. It takes two very special opposition parties to overcome the differences and see them through to get to the other side -- if and when this happens, your relationship can be a match made in heaven! This compatibility includes: Aries and Libra, Taurus and Scorpio, Gemini and Sagittarius, Cancer and Capricorn, Leo and Aquarius, Virgo and Pisces, Libra and Aries, Scorpio and Taurus, Sagittarius and Gemini, Capricorn and Cancer, Aquarius and Leo, Pisces and Virgo.
5. Purple Smiley. This is known as a "semi-square," which can create some tension since these placements will fall either before or after your sign. While this can prove to be tough going for some relationships where emotions run high (such as a romantic or family dynamic), it can often be the basis for great friendships regardless of the differences which are present in those signs. Often this makes a good alliance for people who have similar goals, and there can also be a lot of complimentary input and ideas coming from both sides. While there are differences, the parties involved can often seen one another's point of view with a bit of extra effort in communication, and the relationship which results from this hard work can be very fruitful indeed. Signs with this aspect include: Aries and Pisces, Aries and Taurus, Taurus and Aries, Taurus and Gemini, Gemini and Taurus, Gemini and Cancer, Cancer and Gemini, Cancer and Leo, Leo and Cancer, Leo and Virgo, Virgo and Leo, Virgo and Libra, Libra and Virgo, Libra and Scorpio, Scorpio and Libra, Scorpio and Sagittarius, Sagittarius and Scorpio, Sagittarius and Capricorn, Capricorn and Sagittarius, Capricorn and Aquarius, Aquarius and Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces, Pisces and Aquarius, Pisces and Aries.
6. Grey "Ehh..." Smiley. It is formally known as a "quincunx" or, sometimes informally, called an "inconjunct." This indicates a separation of about 150 degrees, both before and after a sign's opposite. Often there is little attraction between these signs, and sometimes even what one may consider "bad chemistry." There are often few similarities in personality or values, and frequently one sees differences and areas where criticism can pop into the picture. In the best of cases, this dynamic may ultimately elicit boredom, and in the worst of cases, a lot of stress and headaches for all parties involved. Placements include: Aries and Virgo, Aries and Scorpio, Taurus and Libra, Taurus and Sagittarius, Gemini and Scorpio, Gemini and Capricorn, Cancer and Sagittarius, Cancer and Aquarius, Leo and Capricorn, Leo and Pisces, Scorpio and Aries, Scorpio and Aquarius, Libra and Taurus, Libra and Pisces, Virgo and Aries, Virgo and Aquarius, Leo and Pisces, Leo and Capricorn, Virgo and Aries, Virgo and Gemini, Libra and Taurus, Libra and Pisces, Scorpio and Aries, Scorpio and Aquarius, Sagittarius and Taurus, Sagittarius and Cancer, Capricorn and Gemini, Capricorn and Leo, Aquarius and Cancer, Aquarius and Virgo, Pisces and Leo, Pisces and Libra.
7. Thumbs-Down. Astrologists call this aspect a "square" as these are the signs which are 90 degrees apart from one another. These signs often suffer a very disjointed relationship with one another. Communication can be difficult, values and outlooks on the world may be very contrasting and also too difficult to understand. Often we find ourselves attracted to those who "square" us, yet the clashes and upheavals which come from a lack of understanding can make this dynamic challenging at best, and just unbelievably crappy at worst. Proceed with extreme caution! This aspect includes the following signs: Aries and Cancer, Aries and Capricorn, Taurus and Leo, Taurus and Aquarius, Gemini and Virgo, Gemini and Pisces, Cancer and Aries, Cancer and Libra, Leo and Taurus, Leo and Scorpio, Virgo and Gemini, Virgo and Sagittarius, Libra and Cancer, Libra and Capricorn, Scorpio and Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius, Sagittarius and Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces, Capricorn and Aries, Capricorn and Libra, Aquarius and Taurus, Aquarius and Scorpio, Pisces and Sagittarius, Pisces and Gemini.