Friday, March 15, 2013

Is the Lifetime Movie "Stalked at 17" a True Story?

The internet has been abuzz about the Lifetime movie, Stalked at 17.  Because my readers tend to be fans of media that focuses on relationships, I thought I'd answer this question once and for all.

Taylor Spreitler, who plays Angela, the victim of Chad's insane and possessive love in this movie, commented on the status of this movie through Twitter a few months back.  While she says that the movie is a composite which is "inspired by true events," it does not follow a particular case play-by-play.  Instead, it is a worst-case-scenario cautionary tale about what can happen when you allow the person you love to overstep boundaries and to take complete control of your heart, your body, and your life.

Spreitler does add that this type of dysfunctional behavior in relationships is indeed "an issue," which should be discussed more in the mainstream consciousness.  Teen relationship abuse, also known as "dating abuse" in some circles, is more prevalent than you might think.  10% of all teens have been hit, slapped, or otherwise physically harmed by their boyfriend or girlfriend.  And a whopping 25% of  teenage girls are the victims of sexual or physical abuse.  These saddening statistics might change if more light would be shined on this subject, in order to send the message that physical or sexual violence in a relationship is never okay! 

For more information, visit www.LoveIsRespect.org to learn more about healthy relationships.






3 comments:

  1. OMG tears in my eyes
    Sound liike things I had togther
    Before stalking laws in Delaware
    He 6 month mental health sentense and
    Pronbation. I stilll am deal with it 25 years later. Had done this to girls before me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry that you had to go through that. :((( I hope that you've been able to find peace and strength after such a terrible situation. Love & light to you.

      Delete
  2. I saw this movie on lifetime & this girl was a horrible actor, anyway I'm sorry but even though this guy may have been a little controlling I didn't see him ever physically or emotionally abusing the girl & he has every right to be in that babies life since he is the biological father even though his parents & her parents don't like it. She also knew what she was doing at 16 & I don't believe she was raped either.

    ReplyDelete

Like Me on Facebook! :)